If you’ve ever experienced a diaper blowout, you know it’s not a pretty sight! Unfortunately, baby diaper blowouts are one of those parenting hurdles that we all experience at some point. Whether you have dealt with your fair share of blowouts or want to prepare for your first, we’re sharing some of our best tips for cleaning and preventing a diaper explosion.
What’s a diaper blowout?
A diaper blowout happens when poop escapes a baby’s diaper and ends up… well, everywhere! Essentially, the diaper can’t contain the mess, so it travels elsewhere. A baby diaper blowout can range from moderate leakage to a poop crime scene, so to speak!
Why do diaper blowouts happen?
When your little one has their first diaper blowout, you might be confused about what got you into this mess. There are several reasons that blowouts happen, the biggest one being a poorly fitting diaper. Parents know that fastening a diaper juuust right is an art. Too tight, and you’ll put pressure on their stomach and prevent air circulation. Too loose, and leaks are bound to happen!
Their diaper also needs to fit snugly in all the right areas. For example, the cuffs should be on the outside and go around those little legs, not stay inside the diaper. As for the top of the diaper, it should be fastened around the waist.
The size of the diaper matters, too. If you notice frequent blowouts but fasten diapers like an expert, your baby may have simply outgrown that size! Diapers are sized according to weight, so make sure to move up to the next size once you pass the threshold.
What’s the best way to clean up a diaper blowout?
When cleaning up a diaper blowout, you’re going to need to wipe. A lot. To handle the job, choose a natural wipe that will be gentle on your baby’s skin. Since repeated wiping can lead to redness and irritation, soft and gentle wipes help minimize any discomfort!
We love using the NOLEO® system to clean diaper blowouts for this reason. Here’s how it works:
- First, undress your little one and remove their soiled clothes. Try your best to keep any poop out of their face and hair. Place them in a plastic bag or throw them in the wash. You may want to spray on a stain remover before starting the cycle. The faster you apply the stain remover, the more likely they are to come out.
- Next, place them on your changing table. It’s a good idea to lay down a towel to protect the surface.
- Then, add a pump of NOLEO 3-in-1 Cleanser and Moisturizer to one of our soft, organic cotton pads. Since NOLEO 3-in-1 treats and prevents diaper rash, you won’t need to worry about the poopy mess leading to irritation. Pro tip: the extra large cotton pads work best for messy jobs!
- Next, start wiping! Use as many pumps of NOLEO 3-in-1 and cotton pads as you need to get the job done. Have a plastic bag or diaper trash can on hand to toss out the dirty wipes.
- For major messes, you may want to rinse off your child (if you’re lucky enough to be at home!). Once everything is wiped away, apply a fresh diaper and go!
How do you handle a diaper blowout on the go?
We highly recommend picking up a NOLEO Travel Kit for blowouts on the go. It’s the same effective system, all in a convenient travel pack. We also recommend packing a change of clothes (for you and your baby) and plastic bags for easy disposal of the dirty stuff.
Be prepared for the next diaper blowout
Diaper blowouts are inevitable. No parent looks forward to cleaning a big poopy mess. The best thing you can do is learn how to prevent and handle future diaper blowouts!
With the NOLEO® system, parents can handle every diaper blowout with confidence. NOLEO 3-in-1 cleans messes effectively and helps prevent diaper rash and irritation. The cotton pads are gentle and soft on sensitive skin, so you won’t end up with redness and chafing. Our 5 natural ingredients help replenish the skin barrier and add moisture. NOLEO® is a no-brainer for diaper messes big and small!